Disability review process
- OMERS receives your completed and signed Request for an OMERS plan benefit e-form 143 and sends the member a disability package which includes the member's election to proceed with the disability benefit application and a request for medical information.
- The member returns the election form and medical information.
- The OMERS medical advisor conducts an initial review to determine the member’s eligibility for disability benefits.
- OMERS conducts a medical review every 12 months.
- If the member is deemed permanently disabled, OMERS requires the member to verify that they remain totally disabled every 24 months.
: If a member does not comply with OMERS request for information, their disability benefit may be placed on hold. Broken service may be required.
Effective July 1, 2018, OMERS is not responsible for any costs associated with providing medical documents.
What is it?
Rehabilitative work is usually the transitional period
between a member’s total disability status and their return-to-normal work duties (regardless of pay scale).
OMERS rehabilitative work may include any one of the following:
- a different occupation or a training program, with or without reduced hours, to train for a new occupation
- a different occupation, with or without reduced hours, as a transition to resuming own occupation, with the goal to resume own occupation
- own occupation with reduced hours, as a transition to resuming own occupation, with the goal to resume own occupation
- own occupation with modification to duties, as a transition to resuming own occupation, with the goal to resume own occupation
For members returning to rehabilitative work, submit
a completed Notice of rehabilitative work form 152 to OMERS.
The nature of the rehabilitative work plan is an agreement between you and the member. OMERS focus is to ensure that members provide medical documentation to support the need for rehabilitative work.
: The duration of rehabilitative employment is limited to two years from date of initial return to work.
If OMERS does not support the rehabilitative work:
- the disability waiver of contributions stops from the return-to-work date;
- retroactive contributions from the return-to-work date or from the date the approval ceased must be deducted and remitted;
- the contributory earnings received during this period must be included in the pension adjustment (PA) for the year and must be reported on the Annual reporting of membership information e-form 119.